Instructions for Authors, 2014
34th Edition, Iowa Orthopaedic Journal
Any original article relevant to orthopaedic surgery, orthopaedic science or the teaching of either will be considered for publication in The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal. Articles will be enthusiastically received from alumni, visitors to the department, members of the Iowa Orthopaedic Society, residents, and friends of The University of Iowa Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. The journal is published every June. The deadline to receive articles for the 2014 edition has been extended to Friday, January 3, 2014.
Published articles and illustrations become the property of The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal. The journal is peer reviewed and referenced in Index Medicusand MEDLINE and receives approximately 30,000 “hits” per month. Previously published articles will not be accepted unless their content has been significantly changed.
When submitting an article, send the following:
1. An ABSTRACTis required. The corresponding author must be clearly identified in the original manuscript with mailing address, telephone/fax numbers and e-mail address. Illustrations/figures/legends should NOT be embedded in the manuscript and should be sent separately. Their insertion points should be clearly marked in the manuscript.
2. The bibliography must list references in order of their use, and be double-spaced. References must be presented in the text by superscript numbers.
3. Legends for all illustrations should be listed in order of appearance and single spaced.
- Color illustrations may not be used unless it is the opinion of the journal that they convey information not available in black and white.
- Each image should be sent as an individual .tif or .jpg file. All images must have resolution of 300 pixels per inch (ppi). Web page images are to be avoided. Set digital cameras to their highest quality (ppi) setting for photographs.
- When submitting an illustration that has appeared elsewhere, give full information about previous publication and credit to be given, and state whether or not permission to reproduce it has been obtained.
Preparation of manuscripts: Manuscripts must be typewritten and double spaced using wide margins. Write out numbers under 10 except percentages, degrees or numbers expressed as decimals. Direct quotations should include the exact page number on which they appeared in the book or article. All measurements should be given in SI metric units.