Frederick R. Dietz, MD
Professor, Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Medical School - Columbia College of Physicians & Surgery
- Residency - University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Fellowships - Pediatric Orthopaedics, The University of Iowa Orthopaedic Department
Honors, Awards and Organizations
- American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Human Genetics
Clinical and Research Interests
- Etiology of clubfoot
- Treatment of clubfoot
- Genetics of clubfoot
- Determinants of normal limb growth after differentiation
- Etiology of regional growth disturbances (Idiopathic leg length discrepancy hemiatrophy, hemi-hypertrophy)
- Effect of growth factors on limb development
- Evaluation of results of treatment of complex foot deformities in children
- Evaluation of treatment of cerebral palsy patients
- Manor, D.A., Weinstein, S.L., and Dietz, F.R.: Long Term Follow-up of Chiari Osteotomy in Myelomeningocele. 16:769-779, 1996.
- French, L.M. and Dietz. F.R. Screening for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. American Family Physician. 60(1):177-184, 1999.
- Dobbs, M.B. Dietz, F.R. Gurnett, C.A., Morcuende, J.A., Steyers, C.M., Murray, J.C.: Localizatino of Dominantly Inherited Isolated Triphalangeal Thumb to Chromosomal Region 7q36. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 18:340-344, 2000.
- "Genetic Disorders and Skeletal Dysplasia." Orthopaedic Knowledge Update V. Kasser, JR, editor. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1996.
- "Genetic Disorders and Skeletal Dysplasias." Orthopaedic Knowledge Update. James H. Beaty, editor. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1999.
- "Update on the Genetic Basis of Disorders with Orthopaedic Manifestations." Orthopaedic Basic Science: Biology and Biomechanics of the Musculoskeletal System, 2nd edition, edited by Joseph A. Buckwalter, Thomas A. Einhorn, and Sheldon R. Simon, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2000.
- "Congenital Abnormalities of the Cervical Spine." The Pediatric Spine: Principals and Practice, 2nd Edition. Weinstein, S.L., editor. Lippincot,t Williams, and Wilkins, New York, NY, 2000.
- "Embryology and Development of the Musculoskeletal System." Lowell and Winter's Pediatric Orthopaedics, 5th Edition. RaymondT. Morrissy and Stuart L. Weinstein, editors. Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2001.
- "Chapter Nine: Pediatric Orthopaedics" Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, 2nd edition. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Green, Walter B., editor., 2001.