Donald D. Anderson, PhD
Link to My Current CV
- 1985 - B.S.E. - Biomedical Engineering, The University of Iowa
- 1986 - M.S. - Mechanical Engineering (Biomechanics emphasis), The University of Iowa
- 1989 - Ph.D. - Mechanical Engineering (Biomechanics emphasis), The University of Iowa
- 1990–1997 - Director, Biomechanics Research Laboratory, Allegheny-Singer Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1990–1997 - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1990–1994 - Research Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1994–1997 - Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Allegheny Univ. of the Health Sciences Pittsburgh, PA
- 1994–1997 - Lecturer, Biomedical Engineering Program, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1996 - Visiting Assistant Professor, McCaig Center for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 1997–2002 - Director, Biomechanics Laboratory, Minneapolis Sports Medicine Center, Minneapolis, MN
- 1999–2002 - Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2001–2003 - Lecturer, Associate Member of Biomedical Engineering Graduate Faculty, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2002–2008 - Associate Research Engineer, Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2004–2009 - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2008–2009 - Research Engineer, Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2009–2010 - Research Associate Professor, Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2009–2010 - Research Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2010-Present - Associate Professor, Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- 2010-Present - Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Honors & Awards
- 1983 Elected to Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
- 1989 Young Scientist Award (Pre-Doctoral), American Society of Biomechanics
- 2000 Travel Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- 2006 MicroStrain Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- 2007 Kathryn Cramer Outstanding Clinical Paper Award, Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- 2009 Michael Bonfiglio Award for Student Research in Orthopaedic Surgery (co-author), University of Iowa Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation and the Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- 2010 Clinical Biomechanics Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- Best Podium Presentation, 2nd Congress of the International Foot and Ankle Biomechanics Community
- 2011 OREF Clinical Research Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- Member of ASME, ASB, ISB, ORS, OTA, OARSI
- Secretary/Treasurer, ASB 2004–2007; President, ASB 2010-2012
- Journal Manuscript Review: Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Journal of Biomechanics, ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, American Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, Skeletal Radiology, Medical Engineering & Physics
- Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Biomechanics 2000–Present; Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Biomechanics 2009–Present
- Grant Review: NSF CAREER/Biomedical Engineering Grant Award 2001–2006; CDC National Center for Injury Prevention and Control grants 2008; NSF RAPD Panel 2008; Arthritis Foundation Innovative Research Grant (Team Leader) 2010
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
For current list of publications, please visit my PubMed link
- Beardsley CL, Anderson DD, Marsh JL, Brown TD. Interfragmentary surface area as an index of comminution severity in cortical bone impact. J Orthop Res. 2005;23(3):686–690. PMC2194755.
- Anderson DD, Deshpande BR, Daniel TE, Baratz ME. A three-dimensional finite element model of the radiocarpal joint: Distal radius fracture step-off and stress transfer. Iowa Orthop J. 2005;25:108–117. PMC1888764.
- Anderson DD, Goldsworthy JK, Shivanna K, Grosland NM, Pedersen DR, Thomas TP, Tochigi Y, Marsh JL, Brown TD. Intra-articular contact stress distributions at the ankle throughout stance phase—Patient-specific finite element analysis as a metric of degeneration propensity. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2006;5:82–89. PMC2194754.
- Millington SA, Grabner M, Wozelka R, Anderson DD, Hurwitz SR, Crandall JR. Quantification of ankle articular cartilage topography and thickness using a high resolution stereophotography system. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007;15(2):205–211.
- Anderson DD, Goldsworthy JK, Li W, Rudert MJ, Tochigi Y, Brown TD. Physical validation of a patient-specific contact finite element model of the ankle. 2006 ASB Microstrain Award Paper. J Biomech. 2007;40(8)1662–1669. PMC1945165.
- Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Marsh JL, Brown TD. A method for the estimation of normative bone surface area to aid in objective CT-based fracture severity assessment. Iowa Orthop J. 2008;28:9–13. PMC2603343.
- Anderson DD, Mosqueda TV, Thomas TP, Hermanson EL, Brown TD, Marsh JL. Quantifying tibial plafond fracture severity: Absorbed energy and fragment displacement agree with clinical rank ordering. J Orthop Res. 2008;26(8):1046–1052. PMC2562904.
- Li W, Anderson DD, Goldsworthy J, Marsh JL, Brown TD. Patient-specific finite element analysis of chronic contact stress exposure after intra-articular fracture of the tibial plafond. J Orthop Res. 2008;26(8):1039–1045. PMC2562934.
- Muehleman C, Connor D, Fyhrie DP, Marsh JL, Anderson D. On the horizon from the ORS. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009 Jul;17(7):473–476.
- Segal NA, Anderson DD, Iyer KS, Baker J, Torner JC, Lynch JA, Felson DT, Lewis CE, Brown TD. Baseline articular contact stress levels predict incident symptomatic knee osteoarthritis development in the MOST cohort J Orthop Res. 2009;27:1562–1568. PMC2981407.
- Thomas TP, Van Hofwegen CJ, Anderson DD, Brown TD, Marsh JL. Utility of double-contrast multidetector CT scans to assess cartilage thickness after tibial plafond fracture. Orthop Res & Reviews. 2009;1:23–29. PMC2903754.
- Anderson DD, Iyer KS, Segal NA, Lynch JA, Brown TD. Implementation of discrete element analysis for subject-specific, population-wide investigations of habitual contact stress exposure. J Appl Biomech. 2010;26(2):215-223. PMC2905528.
- Anderson DD, Tochigi Y, Rudert MJ, Vaseenon T, Brown TD, Amendola A. Effect of implantation accuracy on ankle contact mechanics with a metallic focal resurfacing implant. J Bone Joint Surg. [Am] 2010;92(6):1490-1500. PMC2874671.
- Masrouha KZ, Anderson DD, Thomas TP, Kuhl LL, Brown TD, Marsh JL. Acute articular fracture severity and chronic cartilage stress challenge as quantitative risk factors for post-traumatic osteoarthritis: Illustrative cases. Iowa Orthop J. 2010;30:47–54. PMC2958270.
- Marsh JL, McKinley TO, Dirschl DR, Pick AG, Haft G, Anderson DD, Brown TD. The sequential recovery of health status after tibial plafond fracture. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24(8):499–504.
- Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Mosqueda TV, Van Hofwegen CJ, Hillis SL, Marsh JL, Brown TD. Objective CT-based metrics of articular fracture severity to assess risk for post-traumatic osteoarthritis. J Orthop Trauma. 2010;24(12):764–769.
- Yin Y, Zhang X, Williams R, Wu X, Anderson DD, Sonka M. LOGISMOS — Layered Optimal Graph Image Segmentation of Multiple Objects and Surfaces: Cartilage segmentation in the knee joint. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2010;29(12):2023–2037.
- Anderson DD, Van Hofwegen CJ, Marsh JL, Brown TD. Is elevated contact stress predictive of post-traumatic osteoarthritis for imprecisely reduced tibial plafond fractures? J Orthop Res. 2011;29(1):33–39. PMC2972368.
- Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Willis AR, Liu P, Marsh JL, Brown TD. ASB clinical biomechanics award paper 2010: Virtual pre-operative reconstruction planning for comminuted articular fractures. Clin Biomech. 2011;26(2):109–115. PMC3034816.
- Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Willis AR, Liu P, Frank MC, Marsh JL, Brown TD. A computational/experimental platform for investigating three-dimensional puzzle solving of comminuted articular fractures. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin. 2011;14(3):263–270. NIHMS258655.
- Anderson DD, Chubinskaya S, Guilak F, Martin JA, Oegema TR, Olson SA, Buckwalter JA. Research Perspective – Post-traumatic osteoarthritis: Improved understanding and opportunities for early intervention. J Orthop Res. (Available in Early View online). NIHMS274643.
- Intema F, Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Elkins JM, Brown TD, Amendola A, Lafeber FPJG, Saltzman CL. Subchondral bone remodeling is related to clinical improvement after joint distraction in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Feb 12. [Epub ahead of print]